‘Tis the season of birthday celebrations and apparently inevitable sugar overloads. If it comes to party favors, it may be a struggle to consider non-edible, really stimulating options. However, if you get a little creative, you are able to rank favorably with kids and parents alike.
These customizable and vibrant DIY Surprise Balls could be stuffed with almost any way of miniature treats and utilized for a number of interesting functions — announcing infant gender, party invitations, table numbers, etc..) We used them to fulfill out a piñata for the daughter’s third birthday. Since there were already cake and biscuits, we steered away from the candy and rather hammered the “miniatures” department in our regional craft shop. I threw together a couple of fast necklaces and picked up some temporary tattoos.
The pleasure is in the adventure of unwrapping up to using all the surprise inside. They are a fun way to get your visitors socialize, and as soon as the balls are unwrapped, you have got a couple of party streamers to throw at the air!
Here is what we had to make our Surprise Balls, however, don’t hesitate to get creative and even let the small ones assist wrap them:
- 3-4 colours of streamers*
- Tiny “surprise” items (I discovered quarter-sized or smaller to be only appropriate)
- Washi tape
*1 big streamer roll created three Surprise Balls regarding the size of a racket ball.
- Set your thing on the border of the streamer and begin wrapping to a chunk. I wrapped in a cross design (side to side and then top to bottom, repeatedly), before the thing was coated entirely and then started forming the round form. Twisting the streamer somewhat because you wrap helps fortify the form and hold down streamer edges.
- When it had been about the size of a golf ball I inserted a 2nd little surprise, possibly a tattoo or decal, and lasted wrap and twisting before the thing has been the size of a racket ball.
- One last twist and complete with vibrant washi tape. Happy wrapping!